At the March 22 Affordability Committee Meeting at City Hall, there were “Not in My Backyard” (NIMBY) voices from residents protesting two proposed seven-storey condominium projects. However, there were also some legitimate concerns about housing affordability raised by attendees.
Barrie Yonge Developments GP plans to construct two towers at the southeast and northeast corners of Yonge Street and Maclaren Avenue in Ward 8.
Two towers will have 196 and 177 condominium units, respectively, with 226 and 205 parking spaces. Additionally, the ground floor is planned to feature 24 retail spaces.
At last week’s meeting, the height of two buildings was the main concern of residents due to privacy issues. Many of the residents who spoke during the meeting requested that the council limit their size to four storeys.
One resident, who has been living at 447 Yonge St. since 1999 and pays less than $1,000 a month in rent, said that the property will be redeveloped as a part of the plan. He added that developers are buying up the last remaining pockets of low-income housing, and that there should be regulations in place to protect them.
“I’m a part of this community. And I’m getting rejected, you know, by someone from Brampton, who comes in, and I have to leave my hometown now, because it’s become so unaffordable,” he said.
The developer is open to making 10% of the units affordable as defined by the city’s definition of affordable housing. A detailed report and recommendation will be submitted to the City Council before summer for their vote.